Sunday, October 7, 2012

It Does Matter

It matters to this one. I've read that statement hundreds of times (at least) over the past six months or so since finding the Reece's Rainbow website. And as I read it one more time today I think of the story of the little boy and the starfish. Usually, I am thinking about it from the boy's perspective. My heart always cheers him on as he tosses that one little starfish back out into the ocean. But today, I'm thinking about the starfish. How must he have felt to be out there out of water, away from his ocean home? I checked it out (and by checking it out - I mean I googled it.) a starfish can survive for five days out of the ocean and then it will die of dehydration.  Like the starfish lying on the sand so many of these precious children listed are living on borrowed time. They have only a little while until they are transferred to a mental institution, or until they die. That sounds so harsh. But it's true. 



One little boy in particular is weighing heavily on my heart today.  Alexander has a brain tumor and while that is heart breaking enough he has no mama to hold his hand or comfort him in his sickness. Who does he talk to when he's scared? Is this little boy going to die without knowing what it is to have a family? Take a few seconds to read his description. He is real, he likes to recite poems and sing songs, he likes to dance. Share this sweet boy's story today - maybe you will be sharing his story with his family. Maybe they have been searching for him too. Go ahead and pick up that starfish and throw it back into the ocean. It matters to this one.


AND... just as a little incentive, I will be giving away one of these beautiful necklaces to anyone who shares this on their own blog, facebook, etc. Or donate to his fund so when his family finds him they are closer to being funded to bring him home. (Click on the link and scroll down to where it says "donate".)  The donation amount is up to you. Leave me a comment so I know where you shared or that you have donated and I will enter you in the drawing. My sweet hubby's birthday is Saturday the 13th so I will be drawing then! 

3 comments:

  1. Alexander is heavy on our hearts too. I just blogged about him the other day. I'm still waiting to see if we won the Choose Your Own Starfish. We want him to be the 3rd child. Tweeted and shared your post on FB. 7lookingup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited that he'll be on the Angel Tree this year. I'm hoping big - not only that we'll be able to raise his grant funds but that the extra exposure will help him find his family.

    Thanks for helping to get things started. I've dropped $25 in his fund. I'll also share this fundraiser on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Alexander is adorable! Look at that smile!!

    ReplyDelete